[Samba] Can't browse network using nautilus

Steve Blackwell steve.j.blackwell at l-3com.com
Mon Oct 11 14:31:46 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'n using the nautilus file browser in a GNOME desktop environment on a
FC2 system.

If I enter smb:/// in the location bar in nautilus I can see the
network but whenever I try to look at the shares on a computer I get a
message saying that I do not have permissions to view the contents.

I looked in the archives and found a thread on a similar problem. This
thread mentioned that the gnome-vfs-extras rpm had been depreciated and
should be removed. This solved the problem for that person but didn't
work for me (I did have that rpm installed snd removed it). Here are
the rpms that I have installed:

samba-common-3.0.7-2.FC2
samba-client-3.0.7-2.FC2
system-config-samba-1.2.15-0.fc2.1
samba-3.0.7-2.FC2
samba-swat-3.0.7-2.FC2
nautilus-2.6.0-4
gnome-vfs2-smb-2.6.0-8
gnome-vfs2-2.6.0-8
gnome-vfs2-devel-2.6.0-8

In looking at an ethereal trace I see some NBNS messages folloed by 3
TCP messages and 2 SMB Netgotiate Protcol Request/Response, all of
which look OK.

Then comes a "session setup andx request, NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE" message.
In this message is a "Security Blob" section and part of this is
"Calling workstation domain". This is set to WORKGROUP which is wrong
for me and does not match what I have set in my smb.conf file. There is
also a "session setup andx request, NTLMSSP_AUTH message that has the
same problem. My user name and machine name are set correctly but the
domain is wrong.

So it would appear that Nautilus is not reading my smb.conf file.
Any pointers on how to proceed from here will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve