[Samba] Roaming Profile & Folder Redirection Problems

Rich Edelman redelman at speedscript.com
Sun Oct 10 19:19:18 GMT 2004

I'm running Samba 3.0.7 on SuSE 9.1 with OpenLDAP for auth.

I've been mostly following along Terpstra's Book "Samba 3 By Example", as lots
of other people here have been.

The three big problems I'm having are:
1) After a Windows XP user logs out for the first time, upon next login they
get an error message saying "Windows cannot log you in because your profile
cannot be loaded." Deleting the NTUSER.DAT file for that user allows that
user to log in again.

2) It doesn't appear like the default user profile (located
in /var/lib/samba/netlogon/Default User/) is getting used for anything, as
when I log in for the first time and view the registry any changes that I
made for the default user are not there!

3) This one will probably be solved by #2 above, but whenever a user logs out,
there is that stupid 'synchronizing' window, even though all profile folders
have been redirected to a network drive. Why?

Any help or suggestions on these would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rich Edelman