[Samba] Authentication woes

Brian Witowski pyramid2 at cox.net
Sat Oct 9 06:00:31 GMT 2004

Hello,

I have a perplexing problem.  Im running Mandrake 10.0 and samba 3.0 setup
as a domain controller.  My client machines are XP Pro.  I can join the
domain and my "Homes" directory connects as it should.  But that's all I can
do.  I have other shares that I can't access.  For instance, I have a
"downloads" share.  Ive tried every conceivable setting but when I try to
access that share, it prompts for my username and password.  I enter it but
it doesn't take.  It just asks again.  I've tried different logins and get
the same result.  Ive tried setting "guest=yes and that didn't help. Ive set
the attributes to 777 and that didn't help.

Evidently it doesn't see my netlogon share either because my logon script
never runs.  Ive included my samba.conf for inspection.  Keep in mind this
is only one of MANY configurations I've tried.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Brian

-------------------------------

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2004/10/07 07:23:18

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = PYRAMID
	netbios name = SERVER
	interfaces = eth1, lo
	bind interfaces only = Yes
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	log level = 31
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m
	max log size = 50
	smb ports = 139 445
	name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
	time server = Yes
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
	delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
	add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
	delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
	add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
	add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null %u
	shutdown script = /var/lib/samba/scripts/shutdown.sh
	abort shutdown script = /sbin/shutdown -c
	logon script = \\%L\netlogon\default.bat
	logon path = \\server\profiles\%U
	logon drive = X:
	logon home = \\%L\%U
	domain logons = Yes