[Samba] Small bug with Samba 3.0.7's smbd process (or just a bad compilation)???

Marcello Melfi marcello.melfi at videotron.ca
Thu Oct 7 02:30:52 GMT 2004

Hi,

I have compiled and installed Samba 3.0.7 with MIT Kerberos 1.3.5 and
OpenLDAP 2.2.17. The reason for it is that I need to authenticate Windows'
user accesses to a Samba share via the Samba's ADS security mode.

I found out one potential problem with Samba 3.0.7 and I have one general
question:

Problem
------------

Normally, when Samba is started, there should be one smbd process and one
nmbd process up and running. Then, one additional smbd process is started
for each share established with a client pc. However, this is not the case
here. When I start Samba 3.0.7, I get two (instead of one) smbd processes
and one nmbd process. Other then that, everything seems to work ok (although
I did nor had the time to perform a lot of testing...). Is this a new Samba
feature or is there something wrong here?

Please note that I started Samba 3.0.7 with the same smb.conf file I used
with Samba 3.0.2a. It is setup in Domain security mode because I wanted
first to make sure that the binaries I created was at least functional.

Question
-------------

Whether I use the Domain or ADS security mode, my requirements with Samba is
to have a network share from a Sun Solaris machine to be accessible to a few
(about 15) Windows 2000 machines so that the main application running on
these machines can export many data files on the Sun Solaris machine in a
transparent manner, i.e. thinking it is a Windows server.

I do not need (and do not want...) to have users logging on the Sun Solaris
machine and I do not have a need to provide a kind of general file server
service to many Windows users through Samba, nor do I need to implement a
SSO to users having both Windows and UNIX accounts.

I was able to implement successfully Samba 3.0.2a in DOMAIN security mode
that way. I need to do it in ADS security mode. The question is: do I really
need Winbindd, PAM, etc. for this? I do not think so in my particular
situation, but I would like to have this confirmed by someone from the Samba
team. Thanks in advance for the answer!

Regards,

Marcello Melfi