[Samba] Installing printer Drivers into [print$]

James.Q.L shijialeee at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 6 21:24:51 GMT 2004

Hi,

I am trying to install the a HP 4100 printer driver to samba(2.2) from a xp machine. I have
download the driver from HP site.

I am following the instruction on the HOWTO by

Open the Windows Explorer, open Network Neighborhood, browse to the Samba host, open Samba's
Printers folder, right-click on the printer icon and select Properties, then prompted with

"The '<printer name>' printer driver is not installed on this computer.
Some printer properties will not be accessible unless you install the
printer driver. Do you want to install the driver now?"

click NO,  Click on New Driver to install a new printer driver , then the APW starts up. I picked
the HP 4100 driver from the list and prompted with window asking me to specify the driver
location. ( but windows xp comes with 4100 driver and i did tcp/ip printer install and it went
fine. ) anyway, i go download the HP 4100 driver and locate it in the above step, it complains
with 'windows cannot locate a suitable printer driver.'

i am really baffled.. what did i do wrong ?

many thanks,

Qiang