[Samba] CIFS in fstab

Wed Oct 6 19:02:57 GMT 2004

Hi, folks,

I have a difficulty using a cifs connection...

O/S: Mandrake 10.0, updated kernel, at 2.6.8.1-12mdk, running Samba 3.0.7
packages.

I'm trying to mount, via CIFS a share on a Windows 2003 server. I have no
control over the use of smb signing, so I need to use cifs, not smbfs (the
organisation as a whole has over 25000 users, using numerous servers, almost
exclusively Microsoft based). I can successfully mount the share in
question, using:

mount.cifs //winserver/share /winshare -o user=linuxwinshareduser

...then entering a password, however, I ***cannot*** get this to work
automatically when trying to do it in my fstab, using:

//winserver/share /winshare cifs user=linuxwinshareduser, pass=password

However, the command:

mount -t smbfs //winserver/winshare /winshare -o username=linuxwinshareduser

***works***

...but:

mount -t cifs //winserver/winshare /winshare -o username=linuxwinshareduser

*fails*

Of course, all works well when I specify the ip address of "winserver", in
the fstab, but IIRC, this invokes a (slightly?) different method of
establishing the connection. And I might (or someone else might) at some
point change the ip address of "winserver".

The Linux server in question has been joined to the Windows (Active
directory) domain, successfully. It authenticates users, using AD, just
fine.

Any hints?

Thanks.

--