[Samba] random errors "the local drive name is already in use. This connection has not been restored."

yves.lejeune at kodak.com yves.lejeune at kodak.com
Wed Oct 6 14:37:36 GMT 2004

(Sorry for the first incomplete answer, here is the long version)

Thanks for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, my warning messages do not happen at login time.
They happen during the use of the share, and in most cases the persistent
option was not set.

I have checked the "idle time before disconnecting" option in the security
settings: it is set to 0,
as recommended on some Windows help sites..

I have checked MS known problems, and found a few ones which are supposed
to be fixed in Windows 2000 SP 3.
Something strange is that they mention the same error message with the
"device" word instead of "drive".
Other problems refer to anti-virus tools, e.g. VirusScan: I have it but do
not think it is involved, because I have a version number
higher that the one which is supposed to fix the bug, and I have disabled
the scan of network drives,
and test PC do not have it.

My current conclusion is that the error message is just an alias for the
"normal" disconnection popup.
So I just have to find why I get disconnections...

Would you be aware of temporary disconnection caused by network timeouts ?
And were to tune the timers ? I could not find any parameter at Windows
level.

Best Regards,
Yves Lejeune.

> "Hamish" <captainmish at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> I had the same problem with XP.
> Modifying the login script to delete the mapping first was the only cure
I found.

> and just recently I found Service Pack 2 fixes this in XP!
>
> I don't know how the other OSs might be affected.
>
> Steve

> Gerald Bird <rocknrollgolfer at shaw.ca>@INTERNET wrote:
>
> I have had this problem unrelated to samba. I believe it is in the login
scripts. Perhaps you are using the "net use /persistent" switch when you
do no need to?