[Samba] smbmount and UTF-8 characters

Russell Packer russell.packer at arnoldinteractive.com
Wed Oct 6 15:20:08 GMT 2004

> Russell Packer
> Sent: 05 October 2004 09:37
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: RE: [Samba] smbmount and UTF-8 characters
>
> > Hello list!
> >
> > I have a Slackware 10 system and a Microsoft Windows 2000 system.
> >
> > On the Windows 2000 system are lots of files with extended
characters
> -
> > like (tm), (r) and characters with umlauts.
> >
> > I used the "localedef" command and set LC_ALL=en_US.UTF8.
> >
> > I am running KDE and in the Konqueror browser I can use smb:// to
> > connect to a share on the Windows system. All extended characters
> > display as expected.
> >
> > If I use the "smbmount" command to mount these shares, and then use
> > Konqueror to browse to "/mnt/projects" I can not longer see the
> > extended characters.
> >
> > An example of one of the many variants of smbmount I have used:
> >
> > smbmount //systemx/projects /mnt/projects/ -o
> > username=******,password=******,workgroup=****,codepage=cp850,
> >iocharset=utf8
> >
> > The filesystem for /mnt/projects is reiserfs, which I understand
> > supports utf8 just fine, though I have not used any explicit mount
> > options.
> >
> > Can anybody guide me towards the magic that will make this work? If
it
> > makes any difference, I am trying to mount many shares for the
purpose
> > of using "s-tar" to archive old files.
> >
> > Many thanks,
>
> Also, is what I am asking actually possible?

OK. Finally got it! Looks like it isn't possible using smbmount.

For future searchers, here is what I did:

1. Upgraded to Linux 2.6.7 kernel:

installpkg kernel-generic-2.6.7-i486-1.tgz

(with the modules and headers. Handily Patrick's config includes CIFS
support, which is what is needed here).

2. Popped into /boot and ran:

mkinitrd -c -k 2.6.7 -m reiserfs

3. Modified /etc/lilo.conf to boot 2.6:

    image = /boot/vmlinuz-generic-2.6.7
     initrd = /boot/initrd.gz
     root = /dev/hdb3
     label = Linux-2.6
     read-only

4. Rebooted into 2.6

5. Mounted the new fileshare using:

mount -t cifs //server/share //mnt/mountpoint -o
dom=DOMAIN,user=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD

Et voila! Filenames that work!