[Samba] Domain trusts (Again)

Doug Curtis doug.curtis at world-mail.org
Tue Oct 5 23:09:35 GMT 2004

I hope someone can answer this since my other emails have gone unanswered.

I am using Samba 3.0.7 on both machines and am using LDAP.  I believe
that the trusts are working but I am still having a slight problem.

I guess we'll use DOM1 and DOM2 for the domain names.  DOM2 is trusting
DOM1.  If a DOM1 user tries to locally login to a DOM1 computer, it
gives a "System could not log you on." error.  I noticed in the logs
that it is trying to create a user with the same name but it is getting
this error:
"Error: modifications require authentication at
/usr/local/sbin///smbldap_tools.pm line 885, <DATA> line 283."

If I manually create a user in DOM1 with the same username, it will then
let the user in DOM2 login.

Is this how the trust is supposed to work?  The user has to have a posix
account in both domains?

Also, if a user is logged into DOM1 and browses to the DOM2 server, the
DOM2 server automatically creates a posix account for that user, thus
letting that person login locally to DOM2 from then on.  It seems as
though it is able to create the posix account it needs when browsing but
not when a user tries to login locally for the first time.

I hope this makes some sense to someone.

Thanks,

Doug