[Samba] SuSE 9.1 Pro

rruegner robert at ruegner.org
Mon Oct 4 22:32:47 GMT 2004

Chuck Chauvin schrieb:

>Is anyone aware of any specific problems with SuSE 9.1 Pro in regards to
>running Samba as a domain controller? I have been trying for a couple of
>weeks to get it setup but keep running into one roadblock or another.
>
>Half of the time I can't see the DC at all unless I disable the SuSE
>Firewall altogether, other times I am able to see the DC just not connect if
>I have ports 137, 138, 139 and 445 open.
>
>I haven't been able to find much help online or in the various forums that I
>frequent and was wondering if anyone knew of any specific probelms with SuSE
>9.1 that I might not be aware of.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>--
>Chuck Chauvin
>Network Administrator
>clchauvin at edcaugusta.com

Hi, the simple answer is dont use suse firewall,( iptables scripts are
easy to google )
and study more chapters from Samba Browsing
I run many samba server under suse without any special problems
what you should now is taht you should not use a .local
dns domain on your internal nameserver , which is highly recommend
for a private network, in suse 9.1 this dns domains are resolved
by multicast for miracle reason, without having the magic to disable it.
Regards