[Samba] Connecting to Samba from an external subnet

Gary Green synapticsponge at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 4 18:56:36 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm new to samba, but I've been reading a few guides and I think I have it
set up somewhat correct.  Connecting to it via linux or windows on the local
lan is no problem, as long as the personal firewall settings are allowing
it.

Problem is I still can't get any computer off the LAN to connect to it.  At
first I thought maybe it was the server's firewall settings, so I pretty
much dropped all protection and made it as open as possible:

$IPTABLES -P INPUT ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -F INPUT
$IPTABLES -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -F OUTPUT
$IPTABLES -P FORWARD DROP
$IPTABLES -F FORWARD

Obviously a security risk, but I just wanted to find the problem.
Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem.  I didn't see much about what I
can set in smb.conf to address external networks.  The only thing I added
was "hosts allow = ALL" but again, no luck.

Is there something specific I need to do to make samba work over the
internet?

Thanks for any help