[Samba] Point'n'Print: adddriver / WERR_ACCESS_DENIED

Philip Maurer philip at packts.net
Mon Oct 4 14:00:30 GMT 2004

Dear list,

This problem has been bugging me for days now, I've got Cups version
1.1.21 and Samba 3.0.7 installed and working.  There is a single
Laserjet 4100 attached to the network, printing via Cups or Cups/Samba
works fine.

The problems are with getting Point'n'Print to work.  I've been scouring
the net, archived posts of this list, read the official Samba manual, to
no avail.  The problem is always the same; I can successfully copy the
drivers into the W32X86 directory using e.g. smbclient, but issuing the
adddriver command via rpcclient

rpcclient newserver -N -U'root%******' -c 'adddriver "Windows NT x86"
"printer:cupsdrvr.dll:printer.ppd:cupsui.dll:cups.hlp:NULL:RAW:NULL"'

Always returns: result was WERR_ACCESS_DENIED

I've tried using the GUI method but when I get to the Advanced tab the
'New Driver' button is grayed out.

Best regards,
                   Philip

Here's my smb.conf:
---------------------------[snip]-----------------
[global]
# Replace MYWORKGROUPNAME with your workgroup/domain
workgroup = NOVASOFT
# Of course this has no REAL purpose other than letting
# everyone know its not Windows!
# %v prints the version of Samba we are using.
server string = Samba Server %v
# We are going to use cups, so we are going to put it in here ;-)
load printers = yes
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
use client driver = no
# We want a log file and we do not want it to get bigger than 50kb.
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
# We are going to set some options for our interfaces...
# This is a good idea, what we are doing is binding the
# samba server to our local network.
# For example, if eth0 is our local network device
interfaces = lo eth0
bind interfaces only = yes
# Now we are going to specify who we allow, we are afterall
# very security conscience, since this configuration does
# not use passwords!
hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 195.163.190.192/27
hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
# Other options for this are USER, DOMAIN, ADS, and SERVER
# The default is user
security = user
# No passwords, so we're going to use a guest account!
guest account = samba
guest ok = yes

# We now will implement the on access virus scanner.
# NOTE: By putting this in our [Global] section, we enable
# scanning of ALL shares, you could optionally move
# these to a specific share and only scan it.

# For Samba 3.x
vfs object = vscan-clamav
vscan-clamav: config-file = /etc/samba/vscan-clamav.conf

# Now we setup our print drivers information!
[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
# this path holds the driver structure
path = /etc/samba/drivers
guest ok = yes
browseable = yes
read only = yes
# Modify this to "username,root" if you don't want root to
# be the only printer admin)
write list = maph,root

[HP_Laserjet_4100]
comment = HP LaserJet Network Printer
printable = yes
path = /var/spool/samba
public = yes
guest ok = yes
guest account = samba
printer admin = maph,root

# Now we setup our printers share.  This should be
# browseable, printable, public.
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba