[Samba] commit changes to removable media + error copying

Chris McKeever techjedi at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 18:26:46 GMT 2004

SAMBA 2.2.8A

I am automounting a 6-in-1 smartmedia reader such as:

/etc/auto..master
/mnt/auto       /etc/auto.misc  --timeout=1

/etc/auto.misc
carda          -fstype=msdos,rw,nosuid,nodev,umask=000 :/dev/sda1

I am also making that a samba share:

[card_a]
        comment = Removable Card Media
        path = /mnt/auto/carda
        browseable = yes
        public = no
        read only = no
        oplocks = no
        level2 oplocks = no
        force directory mode = 0777
        create mask = 777
        force group = domain-users

When browsing to the directory, it will automount and display the
files.  I can update/delete/change the files.  However, in order for
the changes to commit, I need to browse away from share for the
timeout period (1 second) or leave the card in the reader for about a
minute.  Is there a way to have the changes commit so it could be more
transparent to the end user??

also - if I try to copy the file (control-c/control-v) I receive the
error message:

"cannot copy <FILENAME>: invalid file handle"

The only log files I see are:
[2004/10/03 13:23:50, 0] smbd/fileio.c:seek_file(42)
  seek_file: (64mb.mp3) sys_lseek failed. Error was Invalid argument

but it doesnt necessarily coincide with the times I try to do the cut-n-paste

however, if I copy between two different cards in the reader (CF->SD)
then it works fine

Thanks in advance

Chris