[Samba] Switch profile from local to roaming?

Hamish captainmish at gmx.net
Sun Oct 3 12:59:47 GMT 2004

You could try this:
on the local computer add an account, right click "my computer" > manage
 > Local Users and Groups > rclick > add user. Put your domain in and
the user name (the user must be a domain user already) Make them a power
user.
Log off, log on as new user to domain, log off (this will make a section
for them under docs and settings.
Log on as domain admin.
Right click my computer > properties > advanced > User Profiles : Settings.
Select the old account (it will be in the format user/localmachinename)
Click "Copy To"
Go to the documents and settings dir (usually C:) and select the new
domain users dir you just made by logging on as her.
Select this dir
Click "Permitted to use: change"
Select the DOMAIN user, ie DOMAIN\User
Press OK, account is copied exactly, log off
Log on to domain as new user, log off (this copies the files to the
roaming location)

This has always worked for me, the only thing that sometimes does not
work is that their desktop background changes. I normally just tell them
to sod off if they complain, but you can get it back (it is still
selected in the display properties, just browse for the file again and
apply)

Hope that helps,