[Samba] Printing seems to be entirely broken

stouset at ikobo.net stouset at ikobo.net
Sat Oct 2 19:43:58 GMT 2004

Here's the problem: clients that already have a Windows machine with the
printer installed (through Samba, several months ago) can print just fine.
However, any client trying to add, view, or do anything with a printer
*now* always receive a message stating "Access is denied."

When I double-click on the printer to add: "Could not connect to the
printer. Access is denied."

If I right-click on a printer under "Printers", and click on properties:
"Printer properties cannot be displayed. Access is denied."

If I try to view the print queue, I see in the title bar: "Access is
denied, unable to connect."

No matter what I do, I seem unable to do anything with printers,
regardless of privileges. Syslog entries, even at max logging, show
nothing out of the ordinary. This leads me to belive that it's file
permissions, but those have all been checked. Here are the relevant
sections of smb.conf.

/etc/samba/smb.conf:
workgroup = ikobo
domain master = true
local master = true
domain logons = true
preferred master = true
os level = 65

load printers = yes
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
max print jobs = 100
lpq cache time = 20
use client driver = yes
printer admin = @wheel
show add printer wizard = yes

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        printable = yes
        path = /var/spool/samba
        browseable = no
        writable = no

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /var/local/samba/drivers
        browseable = yes
        read only = yes
        write list = @wheel

Here are permissions on a few relevant directories:

hank:/var/cache/samba/printing# ls -la
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 Oct  2 15:32 .
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root  4096 Oct  2 15:32 ..
-rw-------  1 root root 24576 Oct  2 15:31 LaserJet_1300n.tdb
-rw-------  1 root root 24576 Oct  2 15:31 ML-1710.tdb
-rw-------  1 root root 24576 Oct  2 15:31 printers.tdb

hank:/var/spool/samba# ls -la
drwxrwsr-x  2 root users 4096 Oct  2 15:12 .
drwxr-xr-x  6 root root  4096 May 17 10:14 ..

hank:/var/local/samba/drivers# ls -la
drwxrwxr-x  4 root wheel 4096 May 19 09:39 .
drwxr-xr-x  6 root root  4096 Oct  2 15:11 ..
drwxrwxr-x  3 root wheel 4096 Oct  2 15:11 W32X86
drwxrwxr-x  3 root wheel 4096 May 19 09:39 WIN40

Does anyone know why I am having these problems? Nothing I do seems to work.