[Samba] MS Access XP and samba print queues

Ryan Suarez ryan.suarez at sheridanc.on.ca
Fri Oct 1 15:49:06 GMT 2004

Greetings,

We are running samba 3.0.7 with cups 1.1.20 to serve printing to WinXP
pro SP1 clients running Microsoft Access 2002

Our users are having problems "Creating reports in design view" in MS
Access when the default printer is a samba queue.  As soon as you change
the default printer to a non samba queue, everything works fine.

I've been searching the archives and it seems to be a known issue with
no definite solution.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&m=108774635206709&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&m=108213320206344&w=2
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2002-December/057783.html

Someone suggested setting "default devmode = yes" on the printers share
in smb.conf but that didn't work for me.
Can someone please help with getting MS Access and a samba printer set
to the default in XP to play nice?

thanks,
Ryan