[Samba] Re: Re: SAMBA / LDAP / Domain Password change problem

Danny Paul jdpaul at gocolumbiamo.com
Tue Nov 30 20:07:08 GMT 2004

Remove the 'pam password change' option along with the 'remote announce'.
Also take out the 'password chat' option - it's not needed with ldapsam.

It sounds like maybe your clients don't realize your PDC is also a WINS
server.  Is that info added to DHCPd?  If not, are the clients configured
to use it as a WINS server manually?

Also, I still stand by the wins.dat fix.  It seems like the wins file is
corrupted.  Try it again after everyone has left for the day.

One more thing, run your config through testparm to make sure there are no
errors.  Then catch the output of the testparm -s into a new smb.conf file.
This way the conf file is optimised and the errors are removed.

I usually make all my changes to smb.conf.master, then do testparm -s
smb.conf.master > smb.conf.

Also, please do not contact me directly - only through the newsgroup
posting.

>>>John Schmerold <john at katy.com> 11/30 1:26 pm >>>
Danny,

Thanks but that didn't solve the problem, matter of fact things have
gotten a little worse since I first wrote. None of the XP boxes will
join the TOPC domain, boxes that have already joined aren't having the
problem, just new joins seem to be giving us trouble.

I'll wait until end of day when everyone is off system & try the
wins.dat delete trick again, I've also added a couple lines that may
make a difference with regard to the password change issue:
pam password change = yes
&the browsing issue:
remote announce = 192.168.70.255
local master = Yes

Thanks again, it's really helpful having someone that knows what they
are doing help out.

John

John Schmerold
Katy Computer & Wireless