[Samba] Useradd doesn't accept dollar sign ($) and "add machine script" doesn't work

Jarod Legault design at thermatek.ca
Tue Nov 30 19:19:01 GMT 2004

Hi,

I have set up a Fedora Core 3 machine with Samba 3.0.9 to act as a PDC file and print server.  Everything works fine but I am having problems adding new machine accounts.  When I try to add them manually using "/usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -d /dev/null -c "Spruce" -s /bin/false SPRUCE$", I get the error message: "invalid user name 'SPRUCE$'".  I can add the user without the dollar sign, then go in and edit /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow and add the dollar sign, but this process is kind of tedious.  I have tried the "add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s /bin/false -M %u" line in smb.conf, but that doesn't work.  I get an error message when I try to join the domain (I forget what the error is, sorry).  I think the problem is due to useradd not accepting dollar signs at the end of machine names.  Can anybody think of a way around this?  Is there a way I can use a different version of useradd that will accept dollar signs?

The reason why I would like it automated is because I will be leaving the company to go back to school shortly, and I want to make adding computers and users as simple as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Here's my smb.conf file:

[global]
 netbios name = KAITLYN
 workgroup = THERMATEK
 passdb backend = tdbsam
 passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *Enter*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd: *all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
 unix password sync = Yes
 os level = 64
 log level = 2
 log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
 max log size = 50
 socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
 preferred master = yes
 domain master = yes
 local master = yes
 security = user
 encrypt passwords = yes
 domain logons = yes
 add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s /bin/false -M %u
# add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s /bin/false %u ;this didn't work either
 hosts allow = 127.0.0.1, 192.168.1.

 ;user profiles and home directory
 logon home =
 logon drive = H:
 logon path =
 logon script = %G.bat

[profiles]
   path = /home/samba/profiles
   writeable = yes
   browseable = no
   create mask = 0600
   directory mask = 0700

[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /home/netlogon
   read only = no
   browseable = no
   write list = @admin

[homes]
 valid users = %S
 read only = No
 browseable = No

[Home]
 comment = Home Directory
 path = /home/%U/Home
 valid users = %U
 read only = No
 browseable = No

[printers]
 comment = All Printers
 path = /var/spool/samba
 printable = Yes
 browseable = No

[PROJECTS]
 path = /home/shares/Projects
 valid users = @employees, @management
# write list = @employees, @management
 read only = No
 inherit permissions = Yes
 case sensitive = No
 msdfs proxy = no

[THERMATEK]
 path = /home/shares/Thermatek
 valid users = @employees, @management
# write list = @employees, @management
 read only = No
 inherit permissions = Yes

[MANAGEMENT]
 path = /home/shares/Management
 valid users = @management
# write list = @management
 read only = No
 inherit permissions = Yes

[TEMP]
 comment = Temp directory (Will be deleted periodically!)
 path = /home/shares/Temp
 valid users = @users
# write list = @employees, @management
 read only = No
 inherit permissions = Yes

[ml-2150-3]
 comment = Samsung ML-2150 on Linux Server
 path = /var/spool/samba
 read only = No
 guest ok = Yes
 printable = Yes