[Samba] Question about samba 3.0.9

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 17:41:54 GMT 2004

Richmond Dyes wrote:

> I have been setting up my domain server using FC2 and samba 3.0.9.
> First thing, for your information: In the notations in several
> sources, it tells you to user "logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u"  this is
> wrong.  It should be, "logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U".  Now that I
> spent 5 million hours banging my head on a wall with that, how do I
> get he exist desktops on my 2000/XP machines to move to my roaming
> profiles.  When I move a user now, it makes a new desktop.  I want to
> use the user's local desktop, just transfer it to the server.  any ideas?

This seems like quite a common block! Here is my reply from a couple of
weeks ago to a similar question:

XP and 2k will try to use a directory under "documents and settings" for
users profiles, from the domain or local or roaming. If the directory
already exists, it will try username.domain and then username.domain.001
etc.
If you want to keep users settings, you will need to copy them over - i
am not aware of a tool to force it to use existing settings.
To move the users over, log on as the new user, then log in as an
administrator. Right click "my computer" > advanced tab > User Profiles:
settings.
In this window, select the old user (probably COMPUTERNAME\username) and
click "copy to" > Browse to "documents and
settings"/newusername.domainname > OK. Change "permitted to use" and add
the user in the format DOMAIN\username (just username will not work for
domain users)
Hope that helps