[Samba] LDAP authentication only with SAMBA

James E. O'Brien jeo01 at health.state.ny.us
Tue Nov 30 14:12:24 GMT 2004

This question has probably been asked before, but I would like to ask it
again. I know all about LDAP authentication between samba and a LDAP
service with the proper schema in place. You create a entry in the LDAP
database with all the samba privileges in place. I want to just
authenticate with a LDAP service and not use a special samba schema. We use
LDAP to authenticate for telnet, ftp and proxy services. This LDAP service
is used for single sign on type of authentication so that the user does not
need to have dozens of passwords for different servers and services. I want
to use LDAP with samba for the same reason. I will create and entry on the
samba host in the samba smbpasswd file, but want to go against the LDAP
server for the password. Can this be done?
TIA.
Jim OBrien
NYSDOH
jeo01 at health.state.ny.us