[Samba] 3.0.8/3.0.9 printing tdb entries not clearing

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at bangor.ac.uk
Tue Nov 30 09:47:28 GMT 2004

Hi all,

We have a strange issue with printing tdb entries not clearing. From
what I can tell, this may be an issue on Solaris (5.9) but not on Linux
(2.4.18) - I have 3.0.8 (and since last night .9) on a linux server and
a solaris one. I don't see the problem on print queues hosted on the
linux box.

The symptom is that you can print from both XP and 98 and the print job
appears on the printer but sometimes the entry for the job doesn't
disappear if you look at the queue entries on the PC. We can end up
after a busy day with the queue viewer on the PC showing several jobs
pending but if you do lpstat -o on the server there's nothing in the
queue. People use the queue viewer to see whether their job has finished
in order to decide when to go to the printer to collect it.

As I said, printing itself appears to work ok so the problem could be
described as "cosmetic" but there's still a bug of some sort.

Previously with 3.0.5 we did find situations where jobs would be
submitted and would have status "Spooling" for ever and not go through -
we're not seeing that on .8 or .9 - just this other issue. Is this
perhaps related to the earlier problem?

I've have a zip file containing my ntprinters.tdb, ntdrivers.tdb and a
tdb file from one of the printers in case it helps. According to the
queue viewer on my PC there are 4 jobs outstanding but according to
lpstat the queue is clear. I can't recall whether the list strips off
attachments though. I can send it to someone direct if it would help.

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed            "I've got 8 little fingers and only 2 thumbs,
Microcomputer Support                      won't you leave me in peace