[Samba] Samba Shares Not There - More Info

Donald D Henson wepin at wepin.com
Mon Nov 29 15:43:34 GMT 2004

Donald D Henson wrote:

> (SuSE Linux Pro 9.2, Samba 3.0.9)
>
> I have a simple network, 10/100 Ethernet, consisting of a Linux file
> server/workstation, a WindowsXP workstation, and a laptop dual-booted
> for Linux and WindowsXP. I have several Samba shares, defined using
> YaST, on the file server. The problem is:
>
> When I access the Samba shares using the laptop WindowsXP, all shares
> show up and I am able to access them in accordance with the share
> options. However, when I try to access the same shares using the
> laptop Linux, only some of the shares show up. Running testparm didn't
> show any errors and a visual inspection of smb.conf didn't reveal any
> obvious errors.  I searched the release notes and found something
> about WinBind that indicated my share paths had to be lower case, but
> all of my paths are already lower case. I thought about spaces in the
> path names but some of the shares that don't show up have no spaces
> already.
>
> I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. If anyone can offer any insights
> into solving this problem, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Oops. Forgot to include smb.conf. It follows:

# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
# version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE
# Date: 2004-09-12
[global]
    workgroup = HOMEOFFICE
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
    printcap cache time = 750
    cups options = raw
    printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    map to guest = Bad User
    logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
    logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
    logon drive = P:
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    server string = Samba Server
    domain master = false
    domain logons = no
    local master = no
    preferred master = auto
    load printers = no
    ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com
    ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
    ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers

[profiles]
    comment = Network Profiles Service
    path = %H
    read only = no
    store dos attributes = yes
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = no
    printable = no

[users]
    comment = All users
    path = /home
    read only = no
    inherit permissions = yes
    veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = no
    printable = no

[groups]
    comment = All groups
    path = /home/groups
    read only = no
    inherit permissions = yes
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = no
    printable = no
;; [pdf]
;;   comment = PDF creator
;;   path = /var/tmp
;;   printable = yes
;;   print command = /usr/bin/smbprngenpdf -J '%J' -c %c -s %s -u '%u' -z %z
;;   create mask = 0600
;;   browseable = yes
;;   guest ok = no
;; [printers]
;;   comment = All Printers
;;   path = /var/tmp
;;   printable = yes
;;   create mask = 0600
;;   browseable = no
;;   guest ok = no
[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
    write list = @ntadmin root
    force group = ntadmin
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = no
    printable = no

[music library]
    browseable = yes
    comment = Music Library
    guest ok = yes
    path = /public/musiclib/
    read only = yes
    printable = no

[family photos]
    browseable = yes
    comment = Family Photos
    guest ok = yes
    path = /public/photolib/Family Photos/
    read only = yes
    printable = no
    writeable = yes

[ms money]
    browseable = yes
    comment = MS Money
    guest ok = yes
    path = /public/msmoney/
    read only = yes
    printable = no

[mystery shopping]
    browseable = yes
    comment = Mystery Shopping
    guest ok = yes
    path = /public/photolib/Mystery Shopping/
    read only = yes
    printable = no

[mystery shopping orig]
    browseable = yes
    comment = Mystery Shopping - Orig
    guest ok = yes
    path = /public/photolib/Mystery Shopping - Orig/
    read only = yes
    printable = no

[uop]
    browseable = yes