[Samba] Permissions Problem

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Mon Nov 29 15:03:01 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I've got a share called [ACCOUNTING] with the following share definition:
[ACCOUNTING]
path = /data/samba/shares/Accounting
valid users = @acct @"Domain Admins"
browseable = yes
public = no
read only = no
force group = acct

Here is the permissions on the directory:
oink:/data/samba/shares # ls -ld /data/samba/shares/Accounting
drwxrwxr-x  9 root acct 4096 Nov 29 09:30 /data/samba/shares/Accounting

Here is the permissions on a file in the directory:
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root acct 904192 Nov 29
09:48 /data/samba/shares/Accounting/Invoice Recap.xls

The permissions on this file look fine from within Windows Explorer \
properties \ Security.  They look fine on the UNIX side.  But in Excel, this
file is always opened as read-only.  I have verified that the user in
question is in the acct group.  Also the 'fuser' command does not report
anyone using the file.  I would appreciate any help in figure out what has
gone wrong here.

Thanks,
Misty