Still problems with 3.0.9 and AD WAS::Re: [Samba] Problem with lowercase Computernames in winbind samba 3.0.8

Hansjoerg Maurer Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Mon Nov 29 06:53:34 GMT 2004

Hi,

thank you for your reply.
It is good to know, that we don't have to use winbind, if we are using
users from nis and not from the AD-Domain.
I thought there might be a kind of a way to use winbind without let him
doing the userid generation and the nss things
(as a kind of proxy for including userinformation directly from the
MS-Domain to samba)

Unfortunatly, switching completly to winbind would not be possible in
our heterogenous network (Solaris, IRIX, Linuy, VxWorks...),
and using a third (manually generated) database for hostnames (when
putting them in passwd) near NIS hosts and DNS would be some work too.

As you can see, I am not an expert in SMB things,
but would it be reasonable and if so possible to
- merge nis and winbind (getting users only from nis passwd database and
hosts (only hosts with $ ) from winbind)
or
- ask winbind directly from samba for a machine name (not going through
system nss an back to winbind again)

I am sure, the best way for aur situation would be to move to samba and
openldap as a pdc instead of W2003.
But unfortunatly we are using a Citrix Terminalserverfarm, and I am not
sure, if settings like TerminalServerProfilePath
(we use) are included in samba.

Thank you very much

Hansjörg

Andrew Bartlett schrieb:

>On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 14:59 +0100, Hansjoerg Maurer wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>I reported a problem with samba as a AD-memberserver two weeks ago.
>>If you acess a share with a W2k client (rmts1) the
>>following message appears
>> Username NTROBOTIC\rmts1$ is invalid on this system
>>

>>I get the unix-users from NIS.
>>Do I need winbind (I am running it, and wbinfo -g/u works)?
>>Do I need to adjust nsswitch.conf in order to get the machines appear in
>>getent passwd
>>(I tried it, it works, but it does not solve the problem above and it
>>duplicates usernames (nis+winbindd))
>>

>You must either add all your machines to NIS, or use only winbind.
>
>Yes, machines can, do and will log in, and they expect this to work.
>
>Andrew Bartlett

Dr.  Hansjoerg Maurer           | LAN- & System-Manager

Deutsches Zentrum               | DLR Oberpfaffenhofen
  f. Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V.   |
Institut f. Robotik             |
Postfach 1116                   | Muenchner Strasse 20
82230 Wessling                  | 82234 Wessling
Germany                         |

Tel: 08153/28-2431              | E-mail: Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Fax: 08153/28-1134              | WWW: http://www.robotic.dlr.de/