[Samba] Samba Shares Not There

Donald D Henson wepin at wepin.com
Sun Nov 28 17:15:33 GMT 2004

(SuSE Linux Pro 9.2, Samba 3.0.9)

I have a simple network, 10/100 Ethernet, consisting of a Linux file
server/workstation, a WindowsXP workstation, and a laptop dual-booted
for Linux and WindowsXP. I have several Samba shares, defined using
YaST, on the file server. The problem is:

When I access the Samba shares using the laptop WindowsXP, all shares
show up and I am able to access them in accordance with the share
options. However, when I try to access the same shares using the laptop
Linux, only some of the shares show up. Running testparm didn't show any
errors and a visual inspection of smb.conf didn't reveal any obvious
errors.  I searched the release notes and found something about WinBind
that indicated my share paths had to be lower case, but all of my paths
are already lower case. I thought about spaces in the path names but
some of the shares that don't show up have no spaces already.

I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. If anyone can offer any insights
into solving this problem, I'd appreciate it greatly.

--
Donald D. Henson, Managing Director
West El Paso Information Network