[Samba] vampire fails because of Debian smbldap-tools problem

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Wed Nov 24 23:09:46 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 15:30, tom burkart wrote:
> Sorry, Geoff, I thought I'd reply to the list as this seems an important
> issue...
>
> On Nov 24, Geoff Scott wrote:
> >> There is a note in the book (and online) that says that you have to
> >> create all these yourself in the case that you are using ldap.  Nowhere
> >> does it make mention of that in the example scripts.  This is how I
> >> missed it first time around.
> >
> > Does it say it in the TOSHARG book?  I looked again and I can't find any
> > reference to it in the samba by example book online.
>
> Ok, I lied.  I had seen it somewhere...
> it is in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection/groupmapping.html#id2537327 paragraph
> (the note...)
>
> The other really useful thing I found while looking for the above
> reference is in the Samba-Guide/happy.html#id2536161 where in the note it
> says that having separate containers for users and computers does not yet
> work, yet examples appear to use this (hence I got the crazy idea it
> should just work and it didn't).

Smile. :) It can be made to work by moving the basedn up the tree. The
performance impact works against that.

> This brings me to my last point about the LDAP issue that seemed to bring
> this thread up:
> Why is samba using NSS when it has all the necessary information to do the
> proper LDAP search itself?  This does not appear to make sense.

Surely you realize that Samba stores files in the file system. The file system
is completely divorced from Samba. Who would own the files if the UID and GID
Identities are NOT resolved via NSS?

You are completely correct that Samba can do an LDAP lookup to get user and
group ID information, but that is not the issue. How do you propose to
resolve IDs within the OS if not through NSS?

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member