[Samba] vampire fails because of Debian smbldap-tools problem

tom burkart samba at aussec.com
Wed Nov 24 22:30:39 GMT 2004

Sorry, Geoff, I thought I'd reply to the list as this seems an important
issue...

On Nov 24, Geoff Scott wrote:

>> There is a note in the book (and online) that says that you have to create
>> all these yourself in the case that you are using ldap.  Nowhere does it
>> make mention of that in the example scripts.  This is how I missed it
>> first time around.
> Does it say it in the TOSHARG book?  I looked again and I can't find any
> reference to it in the samba by example book online.
Ok, I lied.  I had seen it somewhere...
it is in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection/groupmapping.html#id2537327 paragraph
(the note...)

The other really useful thing I found while looking for the above
reference is in the Samba-Guide/happy.html#id2536161 where in the note it
says that having separate containers for users and computers does not yet
work, yet examples appear to use this (hence I got the crazy idea it
should just work and it didn't).

This brings me to my last point about the LDAP issue that seemed to bring
this thread up:
Why is samba using NSS when it has all the necessary information to do the
proper LDAP search itself?  This does not appear to make sense.

tom.