[Samba] Samba performance issues (compared win2k)

Isaac Ojeda Llebry iojeda at becarios.ulpgc.es
Wed Nov 24 11:09:48 GMT 2004

We're running samba in our organization to serve files in a LAN to windows
machines (almost XP), and we're having some performance issues with small
files. With big files (ie, ISO images), it works pretty well. But, when small
files are involved in the transference, problems arise. In the same
environment, a Windows 2000 machine (the 'old' server) is able to send data
to clients nearly at double speed.

We've tried to change some parameters to make the performance better but... no
way.

So, we're looking for any idea or a point to start to search for some
additional info.

We are using in a Samba-3.0.7-1.3E, Linux AS 3 Update 4 box, with the Red
Hat's kernel 2.4.21-15.0.3.ELsmp.

Configuration is as follow:

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = OURWORKGROUP
        server string = Software Server
        interfaces = eth1
        auth methods = guest, sam, winbind
        map to guest = Bad User
        null passwords = Yes
        guest account = ouruser
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.log
        max log size = 10240
        max xmit = 65535
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 192.168.10.10
        ldap ssl = no
        create mask = 0775
        hosts allow = 127., 192.168.
        cups options = raw
IPTOS_LOWDELAY

--
Isaac Ojeda Llebry
Servicio de Informática y Comunicaciones de la ULPGC