[Samba] Trying to find a bottleneck

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Tue Nov 23 20:20:23 GMT 2004

I doubt you'll ever hit 100%.

The most basic reason is you're using a PCI bus ethernet controller.  A
quick check of the specs for the RTL8169 you mentioned shows it's a 32-bit,
33/66 MHz PCI card.  If you're using it in a 33 MHz slot, your maximum bus
bandwidth is only a little over 1 Gbit/sec.  If your disk controller is
sharing the same bus, that means you can do maybe 500 Mbit/sec, tops.  If
it's in a 64 bit slot, you can double those numbers, but you're still not
leaving much of a margin.