[Samba] Mounting a MSWindows share containing a $ sign

Jean-Philippe Blais jphblais at zinfo.ca
Tue Nov 23 16:07:54 GMT 2004

I'm trying to mount a share that containt a $ sign in it, and I always receive :

5882: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an invalid
share name)

If I try with another share name (without the $ sign) it work.  Here is the
command I use :
mount -t smbfs -o username=WINuname,password=WINpwd,uid=MyUnixUID,gid=MyUnixGID
//server/Users$/WINuname /home/unixUID/mount_point

I've try with the escape sequence \$ (//server/Users\$/WINuname) with simple
('//server/Users$/WINuname') and double quote ("//server/Users$/WINuname") and
nothing work!

I can do smbclient -L server -U WINuname and I see all share name with or
without $ sign.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jean-Philippe.