[Samba] Samba + CFS

Rado Rethmann discussion at centermail.net
Tue Nov 23 13:53:16 GMT 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to get Samba and CFS (cryptographic file system) to work.
What I want is to mount a crypted directory (on my Debian Sarge server) as
a Samba share to my WinXP box.
I've already set up a crypted directory (/crypt/crypt) as a user. And I've
also set up a Samba share for this 'virtual' directory.
I can access and delete files from that folder over the Samba share. But I
can not add files to that directory over the share (what I can do on the
Linux box).
The Windows Explorer says that the directory has 0 bytes of free space and
that the total space is 20MB.
The total free space should be around 26GB.
I think that the problem is Samba. A cfs directory can only be accessed by
the user who set it up. Even root won't see anything.
Samba will access the dir with user priviliges but tries to read the
disk-free info as user root or samba or whatever but not as user.
So it will always be 0 because the dfree command will return an error.
Samba logfile says:

after sending 'net use x: \\server\crypt':
[2004/11/23 14:47:28, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(648)
   rado-xpc (192.168.1.65) connect to service crypt initially as user rado
(uid=1000, gid=1000) (pid 11959

after browsing the dir:
[2004/11/23 14:47:48, 0] smbd/dfree.c:disk_free(138)
   WARNING: dfree is broken on this system

Does anybody know who to solve this ? I'd realy like to write to that
dir...

Thanks for your help, Rado