[Samba] Windows 98 can't print to Samba printer

Jarod Legault design at thermatek.ca
Mon Nov 22 17:28:03 GMT 2004

I have recently set up a basic file and print server at my office
using Fedora Core 3 and Samba 3.0.8pre1-0.pre1.3 .  We have a variety
of clients (1 X WinXP Pro, 1 X Win XP Home, 3 X Win 2k, 1 X Win 98). I
can access all file shares on the server from all clients with no
problems.  I can print to our Samsung ML-2150 printer (connected to
the server via USB) from all clients except the Windows 98 system.
I can access file shares from the Win 98 system, and I can see the printer and install it,
but when I try to print a test page immediately after adding it, I get
the error message: "The network printer is no longer available".  I
don't know why Win 98 can't print, but all the others can.  Here is a
copy of my smb.conf file:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2004/11/18 13:28:21

# Global parameters
[global]
       workgroup = THERMATEK
       netbios name = KAITLYN
       server string = Linux Server
       unix password sync = Yes
       preferred master = No
       domain master = No
       wins support = Yes
       ldap ssl = no
       hosts allow = 192.168.1., 127.0.0.1

[homes]
       valid users = %S
       read only = No
       browseable = No

[printers]
       comment = All Printers
       path = /var/spool/samba
       printable = Yes
       browseable = No

[PROJECTS]
       path = /shares/Projects
       write list = @employees, @management
       read only = No
       inherit permissions = Yes
       case sensitive = No
       msdfs proxy = no

[THERMATEK]
       path = /shares/Thermatek
       valid users = @employees, @management
       write list = @employees, @management
       read only = No
       inherit permissions = Yes

[MANAGEMENT]
       path = /shares/Management
       write list = @management
       read only = No
       inherit permissions = Yes

[TEMP]
       comment = Temp directory (Will be deleted periodically!)
       path = /shares/Temp
       write list = @employees, @management
       read only = No
       inherit permissions = Yes

[ML-2150]
       comment = Samsung ML-2150 connected to Linux server
       path = /var/spool/samba
       read only = No
       guest ok = Yes
       printable = Yes