[Samba] Windows XP SP2 slow printing solution

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de
Mon Nov 22 09:33:46 GMT 2004

Hello!

Problem still exists. I failed to find the reason, so here are my
observations regarding the problem.

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 10:16, Walter Willmertinger wrote:
> Thank you very much, I  tried your solution 3 (the http- or URL
> -printing method). Speed is now very good.
[...]
> Jason Balicki schrieb:
> >Walter Willmertinger <> wrote:
> >>I upgraded to 3.0.8 with no difference in the speed of the printer
> >>dialogue and other printer related topics.
> >>It is still very, very slow. For example, Adobe 6.0 takes about 10
> >>seconds to show the printer dialogue.
> >>
> >>So it seems, that the problem is not fixed.
> >>I sure think it is a problem in SP2, because I removed already SP2 and
> >>all works in normal speed.
> >>The problem is that you cannot go around SP2 only if you ignore any MS
> >>XP updates.
[...]
> >Here's what I've learned:
> >
> >1) It's NOT universal, and only appears to affect certain printers/
> >print drivers.  I have Canon ImageRunners that have this problem,
> >but I have several HP printers and a Ricoh color laser that doesn't.
> >The Canon printers have the problem no matter what driver I attempt
> >to print with (they support PCL and PostScript.)  I've tried every
> >version of both languages that I could get my hands on.

True. I use a CANON color driver or a Kyocera KX driver for the KM2530.
Allways the same problem. HP drivers from the Windows CD does not have the
problem.

> >2) It IS an issue with Windows XP SP 2 and Samba.  If I change
> >either of those, i.e., uninstall SP2 or share the printer on another
> >Windows machine (or use a print method other than smb) the problem
> >goes away.

same here.

> >3) You can work around the problem by printing to CUPS/IPP directly.
> >When setting up the printer select "network" printer and then select
> >the "connect to a printer on the Internet..." radio button.  Then
> >you can use the url "http://<servername>:631/printers/printername"
> >to connect to your printer.  This has the distinct drawback of
[...]
This is a non point 'n print solution...
[...]

Not mentioned before:

1st. On my system the problem only occurrs, when the client has a local
devicemode !
This is created, when the user changes some settings of the printer.
The devicemode is located in the registry under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Connections\<servername,printer_name>.
No more slow down, after deleting the devicemode.

Could you please verify, if this is true in your enviroments?

2nd. All drivers I tried out, only have this problem, if they have a large
private data field in the devicemode. Maybe the problem is related to this.

3rd. The slow down is a loop through the printer's registry values. In the
network trace I can see GetPrinterData calls over and over.

Hopefully someone gets an idea, how to work around this MS bug.

Greetings,
Martin

Martin Zielinski                       mz at seh.de
Software Development