[Samba] NT_LOGON_FAILURE setting up a Linux BDC

Kitano jgascon at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 23:36:46 GMT 2004

Hi,

We're trying to set up a Red Hat 9 box as a BDC for a domain, the PDC for that
domain is another RH9 machine. To do it we're using samba 2.2.7a and openLDAP
2.0.7 in both machines. We've followed the instructions from the Samba-PDC-Howto
and Samba-BDC-Howto from the samba.org. The PDC works fine but when I try to
list the shares of the BDC using my user I get a NT_LOGON_FAILURE however with
a guest user it seems to work well and I get the list of shares. I think
that's a problem with the permissions.

These are my configuration files, (I only include these lines that I consider
pertinents).

#smb.conf (BDC)

[global]

log level = 1
os level = 32
local master = yes
domain master = no
preferred master = no
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
domain logons = yes
logon path =
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
unix password sync = yes
passwd chat = *password* %n\n *password* %n\n *successfull*
pam password change = yes
ldap admin dn = cn=Administrator,dc=myorg,dc=org
ldap server = workstation1.myorg.org
ldap suffix = dldap filter = "(&(uid=%u)(objectclass=sambaAccount))"

[test]
        comment = Test
        path = /tmp/test
        browseable = yes
        writable = yes

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        browseable = no
        writable = yes
        valid users = %S
        create mode = 0640
        directory mode = 0750

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
        guest ok = no
        writable = no
        share modes = no

#slapd.conf (the BDC is also a slave of the master LDAP Server)

updatedn uid=Administrator,ou=users,dc=myorg,dc=org
updateref ldap://server.myorg.org:389

access to attr=userPassword,lmPassword,ntPassword
        by dn=uid=Administrator,ou=users,dc=myorg,dc=org write
        by self write
        by anonymous auth
        by * none
access to attr=shadowLastChange
        by dn=uid=Administrator,ou=users,dc=myorg,dc=org write
        by self write
        by anonymous auth
        by * none
access to attr=shadowMin,shadowMax,shadowWarning,shadowInactive,shadowExpire
        by dn=uid=Administrator,ou=users,dc=myorg,dc=org write
        by self read
        by anonymous auth
        by * none
access to attr=loginShell,gecos
        by dn=uid=Administrator,ou=users,dc=myorg,dc=org write
        by self write
        by * read
access to *
        by dn=uid=Administrator,ou=users,dc=myorg,dc=org write
        by self write
        by * read

# ldap.conf

#SIZELIMIT      12
#TIMELIMIT      15
#DEREF          never
HOST 127.0.0.1
BASE dc=myorg,dc=org

# PAM file system-auth

#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
#auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_smb_auth.so use_first_pass
#auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_smb_auth.so
use_first_pass nolocal
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so
account     sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_localuser.so
account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore service_err=ignore \
system_err=ignore authinfo_unavail=ignore] /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so

password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so nullok
use_authtok md5 shadow
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_authtok
password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so
session     optional      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so

Thanks in advance ;)