[Samba] Another try: apps can't see data files until use of Win. Expl.

Steve Snyder swsnyder at insightbb.com
Sat Nov 20 19:29:14 GMT 2004

No, the reconnection of the share and the launching of the applications
that use the data on the share are both done at user login.

WinXP is configured to automatically reconnect the share as drive N: and
the applications expect to find their data beneath N:\CommonData\.

More info that I should have mention previously.  I see this behavior with
3 applications that expect their data files to be on the share.  Two
application are started automatically at user login.  The noteworthy
application (to me) is the 3rd app, the one that is not run as a service.

Since the user must manually initiates the running of this app after
login, it suggests that the problem is not a race condition.  I thought
the problem might be a case in which an application is run (as a service)
concurrently with the share reconnection at WinXP user login, so the
share might not be available when the app is first launched.  The fact
that a non-automatically-run app shows the same behavior minutes after
user login suggests that no race condition is present.

Thanks for the response.