[Samba] LDAP and userPassword

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Fri Nov 19 21:52:13 GMT 2004

On Friday 19 November 2004 16:35, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> > Also, which password does smbclient use, userPassword or sambaNTPassword?
>
> It uses sambaLMPassword or sambaNTPassword depending upon the strength
> of the client.

Well, I've got a user with no userPassword but a sambaLMPassword and
sambaNTPassword, and he is not able to use smbclient:

furnsrv:/usr/local/sbin # smbclient -L localhost -U carl1
Password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

If I give no password it works:
furnsrv:/usr/local/sbin # smbclient -L localhost -U carl1
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[FURN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.8]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        homes           Disk

So maybe it is not meant to use userPassword but it sure does appear to
be.  :/