[Samba] bit by 3.0.8 username map affect on homes share

Tom Schaefer tom at umsl.edu
Fri Nov 19 21:40:36 GMT 2004

Samba is a domain member server authenticating to a MS-Windows domain
controller.

With 3.0.7 and all previous version for the past few years I could map a
Windows to Unix userid in the username map file like so..

fred = fredw

His home directory was then accessible as \\servername\fredw so
\\servername\%username% from a Windows NTx client.

I make EXTENSIVE use of that functionality.

I missed the 3.0.8 release where I take it this actually changed but after
spending hours today with the 3.0.9 release today I eventually figure out
that my username map now has to have entries like so..

fred = MYDOMAIN\fredw

fine I can deal with that, but what's killing me is that then a share
named fredw doesn't get automatically created via the [homes] section like
it used to.

With previous versions of Samba \\servername\fred,
\\servername\homes, and \\servername\fredw where all available.

With the new Samba only \\servername\fred and \\servername\homes are
created, no fredw.

A Windows NT client trying to connect to \\servername\%username% is out of
luck since its effectively using \\servername\fredw.  I have thousands of
such clients.

I have about 14,000 users and over 2500 of them require username mappings
in my username map file and they all access their home share as
\\servername\%username%.

Have mercy on me oh gods of Samba.

Thankyou,
Tom Schaefer