[Samba] Running Samba 3 as PDC

Irene Sakellarakis irenes at uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 19 17:22:45 GMT 2004

I am investigating options for using Samba 3.0.7.2.FC1 (Red Hat Fedora
Core 1 basic installation, currently updating via yum) as a primary and
only domain controller. We have a Windows user environment, and I'm
trying to connect the user machines (XP fully patched as of this
writing) to the samba domain but keep getting one of 2 errors: 1)
"authentication failed", when I use the (smb) administrator account and
password; 2) "user not known" when using the root account.

I've created the users (both unix and samba), mapped my groups, edited
admin groups with the right entries). Frankly, I'm at a loss as to
whether this is even feasible, realistically.

I've searched the various groups online but any reference I find to this
type of setup is with pre-W2k clients and Samba 2.* versions. All the
discussions I've found pertaining to 3.0 and W2k/XP are only documenting
existing problems similar to mine with no responses to those threads.

Is it possible (at this point "advisable" has been thrown out the window
by higher-ups) to get this functioning as a complete replacement to a
Windows200* server environment? The official HowTo seems to hint at it,
but I find little or no actual instruction on the matter.

Thanks much, in advance,
Irene