[Samba] Trying to find a bottleneck

Henti Smith henti at geekware.co.za
Fri Nov 19 07:05:39 GMT 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:53:05 -0800
Jeff Morrow <jmorrow at jmorrow.org> wrote:

> I then put a roughly 7 MB file on the linux ramdisk
> and mounted that disk on my windows box via Samba.  I then wrote a
> .bat script on the windows side that copies the file from the linux
> ramdisk to the windows ramdisk over and over again.

I'm a complete newbie, but would using a bigger file not be more accurate.

Using a 7MB file on a 1Gbit (+- 130Mbit/sec transfer *theoretical*)
is not going to stress the connection.

My guess would be that the file is transfered without utilizing the line.
and since it's copying back and forth it's est a new connection for each transfer.

then again .. I might be completely wrong ;P

--
Henti Smith
henti at geekware.co.za
+27 82 958 2525
http://www.geekware.co.za

DISCLAIMER :

Unauthorised use of characters, images, sounds, odors, severed limbs, noodles, wierd dreams, strange looking fruit, oxygen, and certain parts of Jupiter are strictly forbidden.  If I find you violating, or molesting my property in any way, I will employ a pair of burly convicts to find you, kidnap you, and perform god-awful sexual experiments on you until you lose the ability to sound out vowels.  I don't know why you are still reading this, but by doing so you have proven that you have far too much time on your hands, and you should go plant a tree, or read a book or something.
	- http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/