[Samba] Domain authentication failing after a period of time

William R. Knox wknox at mitre.org
Thu Nov 18 19:36:53 GMT 2004

I am having an unusual bit of behavior with a recently upgraded 3.0.8
installation (from 3.0.2a). I upgraded the server and retained the
secrets.tdb file. The server itself is using security = domain, and it had
been joined to the domain prior to the upgrade. Now, once I started the
new version, I couldn't log on, and would get the error "There are no
logon servers available to service the logon request". If I "rejoin" the
domain (using the net join command), I can access the shares, but only for
a period of time. After a few minutes (there doesn't seem to be a specific
interval), that same message is returned. Running a smbclient -L against
the system yields "session setup failed: NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS".

I haven't tried failing back to 3.0.2a yet, but I will if that will help
in any diagnoses.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone may be able to give.

			Bill Knox
			Lead Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
			The MITRE Corporation