[Samba] Samba 3.0.8 - Unable to login/logon from Windows 2003 or CIFS

James MacLean macleajb at ednet.ns.ca
Thu Nov 18 18:49:42 GMT 2004

Hi Folks,

Recently (I believe since recent 3.0.x releases), I have been unable to
login to a Samba instance using CIFS (Linux mount) or Windows 2003. If I
change the smb.conf from:

security = server
security = user

I _can_ login again fine. The NT PDC always replies with
NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE. It's event viewer shows that the proper
username is being used, but that the password is not correct.

Logging in with smbclient or 2000 or XP is fine, although possibly slow
as if it is trying one way, failing then trying another.

Always failing at auth/auth_server.c:check_smbserver_security(363).

I'm usually not too bad at digging in and at least having a clue with
these problems, but this time I am lost. Did Google searches, looked at
the archives and although I saw similar problems, they where either
fixed with something that didn't work here, or the question was not
answered :(.

Any help, even to look at something obvious, appreciated,
JES