[Samba] Samba PDC with shares accessible for not logged users - how?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Wed Nov 17 20:58:43 GMT 2004

Paul Gienger wrote:

>> As I'm logged onto that workstation as an Administrator (Administrator
>> of that PC, not logged into a domain), I get something like that into
>> the logs - when I double click on a Server icon in a Network
>> Neighbourhood:
>

> Sounds like you want to be dealing with the guest parameters. Just off
> the top of my head, you can try setting guest ok = yes, then you need a
> guest account to map the username to so that samba stays sane.  You
> could try either setting up a guest and putting that into the guest
> account = directive or using any user that has permissions on the
> share.  And of course make sure it's read only, which I believe you've
> already done.

Tada!

OK, so I added these two lines to the [global] section of smb.conf:

guest account = dupa
null passwords = yes

and matched Administrator to this user dupa in smbusers:

dupa = administrator

and it works!

Now I have to "reconfigure" it a bit, because Administrator is used for
other purposes like joining domain here... :)

Tomek