[Samba] Samba PDC with shares accessible for not logged users - how?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Wed Nov 17 20:13:43 GMT 2004

Paul Gienger wrote:

>> this directory shouldn't be writable, so I have it now like that:
>>
>> [wpkg]
>>   comment = Windows Packager
>>   path = /home/samba/wpkg
>>   read only = yes
>>   browseable = yes
>>   valid users = nobody, unattended, guest
>>   guest ok = Yes
>>   public = Yes
>>

>> but as the server is a domain controller, it prompts for a
>> username/password even if I just click on its icon (from win2k
>> workstation).
>

> Most likely it's prompting you for a user/pass because you're not coming
> in as a valid user for the server.

Indeed it's the case.
But I want every user to be able to browse this share - but this is not
possible as it seems that to access this share I have to access server
first (as a valid user).

As I'm logged onto that workstation as an Administrator (Administrator
of that PC, not logged into a domain), I get something like that into
the logs - when I double click on a Server icon in a Network Neighbourhood:

   check_ntlm_password:  Checking password for unmapped user
[PC007]\[Administrator]@[PC007] with the new password interface
[2004/11/17 21:05:57, 3] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(222)
(...)
   check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [Administrator] ->
[root] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

If I try to access it from Explorer like \\server\myshare - Windows
complains that there is no such object (?), with Samba logs similar to
above.

>> What do you mean by "force user"?
>

> Force user means, in a nutshell: Make it look like I'm this guy, where
> thisguy is the user named in the force user line.  You still need to be
> a valid authenticated user before going to said share. From the man page:

So this is rather useful for me, right (as I have to still supply password).

Any more hints?

Tomek