[Samba] Re: More Printing Fun (Point and print not working)

Jason Balicki kodak at frontierhomemortgage.com
Tue Nov 16 21:50:29 GMT 2004

Michael Lueck <> wrote:
> Guesses...
>
> 1) You have set root as an invalid user in smb.conf (Because who
> would ever ((in their right mind)) log into Windows with a domain
> account called "root" anyway) 2) You are logged into the Windows box
> with a domain account which is not a domain admin or an admin of the
> printer shares

Thanks for the tips, but neither of these are the case.

My smb.conf has me listed as a printer admin
in [print$]:
printer admin = @adm, root, kodak

I've also had this set to:

printer admin = kodak

and

printer admin = root

and I did try logging in as Administrator and root
and kodak -- and no matter what I get:

"Printer settings could not be saved.  Access is denied."

when I try to either "apply" or "ok" after installing
"new driver" in the advanced tab.

Obviously, I'm missing something, or I've somehow misunderstood
the instructions in the "By Example" docs, but I'm stuck
with that error every time.  Like I mentioned, this did
work on my old server running 2.2.8a (I don't know about
later versions -- I know I was able to install the drivers
on client machines, but I can't recall if I installed them
on the server after I upgraded to later 2.2.x versions.)
To recap, I'm running 3.0.7 right now.

I appreciate the help, though.  I'll keep trying.

--J(K)

Here's my current smb.conf.  I've removed references to
other shares, but otherwise, everything else is in here.

[global]

   workgroup = FMDOM
   netbios name = PIPER
   server string = Samba Server
   printcap name = cups
   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
  # yes, I know this is in both places, I've been playing
  # around with it.  This is as it is in the current version.
   printer admin = @adm, root, kodak
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
  # trying to see if I could find anything in the logs
  # about the slow printing.  I should change this back
  # to 5 now...
   log level = 10
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   wins support = true
   dns proxy = no
   veto oplock files = *.dbf *.idx *.cdx *.DBF *.IDX *.CDX
   utmp = yes

==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   admin users = backup

 [netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /export/samba/netlogon
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = Yes
   guest ok = no
   printable = yes
   use client driver = yes
   print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r

[print$]
   comment = Printer Driver Download Area
   path = /export/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   guest ok = yes
   write list = kodak
   printer admin = kodak

# the rest of this file is just more regular share definitions.