[Samba] Samba/Netscape Directory Server

Christian Merrill cmerrill at redhat.com
Tue Nov 16 18:25:56 GMT 2004

Andreas wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 12:02:21PM -0500, Christian Merrill wrote:
>

>>Thanks, one more problem out of the way.  Now on a windows system I can
>>manually net use to a share with Administrator, however attempting to
>>join the domain still fails with a bad username/pw.
>>

>The user you choose to perform the domain joining has to have uid=0 on the
>Samba box. Perhaps that's what's missing now.

hmmmm not sure offhand if I understand.  A quick review of where thing
stand now:

1. 2.1 Server running Netscape Directory Server (is not configured as a
client, don't think this matters???)
2. RHEL3 system running Samba PDC with LDAP backend pointing to the 2.1
system
3. The directory shows an Administrator account with uid 0.
4. Commented out the default root = administrator mapping in
/etc/samba/smbusers on the samba server.
5. Can manually attach to shares with appropriate user/pw, but cannot
join the domain as Administrator or as root from a windows 2k/XP client
(bad username or password).

Regarding what you are saying, from the RHEL3 Samba server a "getent
passwd" displays Administrator and root both with uid=0 along with the
other available local & remote ldap accounts.

Christian