[Samba] RE: Primary Domain Functionality On Additional SAMBA Servers.

Kenneth Nwoye kenneth.nwoye at mediatools.co.uk
Tue Nov 16 13:06:04 GMT 2004

Hi All,

I currently have on our network two backend Sparc/Solaris 8 servers. One serve's as a core Samba file and print server and acts as a primary domain controller (PDC) to about 100 Pc desktop clients, the other is an RDBMS (Informix) server with a small database and loads of spare capacity.

For the sake of fault tolerance and redundancy, we have decided to install and run Samba on the second server to act as a backup domain controller (BDC). I copied over the original SMB.CONF file from the server acting as PDC onto this server (BDC) and made some changes to reflect it's hostname and identity. I also made some changes to my domain network log on script, in order to identify this server on my Windows XP pro workstation, so as to map a network drive. This has so far proved unsuccessful. Any suggestions as to a solution would very much be appreciated.

Kenneth Nwoye