[Samba] Slow update time for Desktop icons

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Mon Nov 15 22:05:44 GMT 2004

I've got one user that I just put onto the new Samba 3.0.8 server.  He's on
WinXP SP1.  He has a ton of icons and things on his desktop (39M worth of
data according to his profile) but I'm not sure if that is a problem.  When
he logs in, a few of his icons which point to network applications have only
the default Windows shortcut image.  If he right-clicks the Desktop and
clicks "Refresh" the pictures become what they are supposed to be.  I do not
see this problem with other systems, but this is the only XP SP1 box I have.
We can't upgrade him because we are waiting on some hardware compatibility
issues to be resolved.

Is it just that he has too much on his desktop, or is there something I can do
on either his side or the server side to fix this issue?  It seems somewhat
similar to other refresh problems of the print queue and Explorer windows.

Thanks,
Misty