[Samba] Re: Problem running kde

Michal Kurowski michal at genesilico.pl
Mon Nov 15 11:57:00 GMT 2004

Markus Meissner [mlist at meissner.it] wrote:

> I don't like nfs, too. Its permission-system is based on IPs. If you take
> your Laptop, disconnect the "trusted" client, connect the cable to you
> laptop with the "trusted" ip you have access to all files on the nfs-server
> the trusted client has had access to. Correct me if I am wrong.

Well, it does not have to be IP-based. You can use DNS names or
netgroups as well.

But you're rigth: NFS was designed for secure networks and trusted
LAN/VLAN is a basic assumption for a secure NFS deployment.

My the same can be said about any file sharing system, IMHO.

Cheers,

--
Michal Kurowski
perl -e '$_=q#: 13_2: 12/o{>: 8_4) (_4: 6/2^-2; 3;-2^\2: 5/7\_/\7: 12m m::#;