[Samba] Problem with "include=smb.%U.conf"

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Mon Nov 15 02:28:36 GMT 2004

Hi,

Does anybody know why Windows clients can see shares that are defined by the
"include=/etc/samba/smb.%U.conf" option in  but Mac OS X and Linux Samba
clients cannot see those shares?

In other words, I have a bunch of users. Each user has a set of his/her own
unique shares on my Linux server that are defined in files called:

/etc/samba/smb.User1.conf
/etc/samba/smb.User2.conf
/etc/samba/smb.User3.conf

and so on.

In Windows, User 1 will see the shares listed in /etc/samba/smb.User1.conf.
User 2 will not see those shares (unless they are listed in User 2's directory
file as well, which in my case never happens).

In Mac OS X (10.3.4, 10.3.5, and 10.3.6) as well as in various Linux
distributions like Mandrake 10 and 10.1 and the latest Debian, if I log in as User 1,
I cannot see the shares that correspond to User 1. The only shares I can see
through the Mac Finder or through the Mac "Connect to Server" or through the
Linux Smb4k or LinNeighborhood are those defined in the general
"/etc/samba/smb.conf" file.

If there is no way around this situation, is there another way to define
shares so that only specific users will see them when they browse for shares that
are available? I have hundreds of shares each of which are restricted to
individual users. Linux ownership and permissions are set on the directories that
correspond to those shares such that User 2 can't enter User 1's directories.
But I don't want User 2 to even see User 1's directories. Which is why I use
the include=smb.%U.conf approach. It works great in Windows XP, but fails
completely when connecting from Macs.

Any solutions?

Regards,
Andy Liebman