[Samba] Changed SID after copied secrets.tdb

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Sun Nov 14 14:00:19 GMT 2004

Hi,

I recently did a complete upgrade and reinstall of one of our Samba servers.
No problem, I backed up all the data, the Samba configuration files, and the
secrets.tdb.  Just compiled 3.0.8 on the new server (which has the same
hostname), copied the smb.conf to /usr/local/samba/lib and copied th
secrets.tdb to /usr/local/samba/private.  Started Samba, did 'net
getlocalsid' and it reports a different SID than my old server had.  Just to
be sure that the secrets.tdb copied correctly:
furnsrv:/data/backup/mnt1/usr/local/samba/var/locks #
md5sum /usr/local/samba/private/secrets.tdb /data/backup/mnt1/usr/local/samba/private/secrets.tdb
375cf198c84d026ccb9739bba4f600d5  /usr/local/samba/private/secrets.tdb
375cf198c84d026ccb9739bba4f600d5  /data/backup/mnt1/usr/local/samba/private/secrets.tdb

So I can change the SID back to the correct one by hand but I'd rather know
what I did wrong.  Thanks for any help!

Misty
--
System Administrator